Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Grandpa

My Mom sent out an email about her Dad my Grandpa Chic yesterday...it was the 40th anniversary of when he past away. Now obviously I have never met him, but I have always felt very close to him through my Moms stories and memories that she shares with me. As I read through her email this morning I couldn't help but get a little emotional as she described what an amazing man he was. I use this blog to help keep memories and records of my family and I really wanted this to be a part of it. My Mom has definitely made my grandpa proud. She emulates everything that he was and through her I feel that I know my Grandpa Chic.
-Thanks for the beautiful tribute-

Forty years ago today a great man slipped through the veil from mortality to the spirit world where he would be free from pain and able to continue his life of service and devotion to the Lord....it was my dad, your grandfather and great grandfather.

I wish you all could have known him and known what an exceptional person he was/is. There was nothing he wouldn't do for others, and everyone that knew him loved him. He wasn't wealthy, didn't hold high positions, but his funeral was as crowded as Stake Conference because of the many friends and associates who admired him and wanted to honor his memory.

We always knew what the most important things in his life were and he was passionate about them: The Gospel, his family and his country. He knew that without faith and obedience to the Gospel, he couldn't have his family forever, and he knew our country was divinely inspired so that the Gospel could be restored to bless the whole world.

He literally wore out his life in service to others; anything anyone needed he would give to them, whether we needed it or not...he knew we'd be fine and would get along, but sharing and caring was as much a part of him as breathing. Mom told many stories of when they were first married and had very little money...they'd go in the grocery store and come out empty handed because dad found someone in the store who needed something more then he did. He'd donate his time and meager earnings to make road show backdrops spectacular for wards and stakes; he's spend hours taking photographs of weddings, or family events, for people who couldn't afford a "professional", but he'd make sure it was perfect for them; he taught us what service meant - that it was most needed when it was most inconvenient, and that no effort was too small to bless someone's life. Whoever was moving, sick, hurt, down etc., he was first there to do whatever he could. He taught us to never think we had nothing to offer someone, or there was nothing we could do for someone in need. He was the perfect example of being content and grateful, even...no especially...when we had little.

There was never, ever a doubt how much he loved us and how much he loved his Savior and the Church. I can't describe the gentle, kind, loving, giving, faithful man who is waiting for all of us; loving us from "afar"; cheering us on when times are tough; watching over us and continuing to bless us. He always told me that his family was his treasure, his joy and his life ......... dad, I understand and could not agree more.

I love you all so, so much. Thank you for blessing my life everyday with your love and kindness and for all you do for each other, as well as others. I know dad is as proud and happy with each of you as I am.

Mom

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I was thinking of doing this SAME thing on my blog! I loved what Mom wrote and wanted to have it written down somewhere, like when I'll print my next blog book. Hope you don't mind if I copy you!

Mom said...

Thanks Jaimee. He went ahead so he could send me the very best kids EVER!!!
I love you all