Thursday, November 6, 2008

Yummy Carmel

We had a very fun activity at young womens last night. We were trying to give the girls some fun creative inexpensive gift ideas for their friends for Christmas. Some of the examples we brought to show them were carmel apples, carmel popcorn, peppermint bark, and I was in charge of carmel chocolate covered pretzels. We also had many non edible items to show the girls. Everyone decorated a composition book with scrapbook paper, stickers, and stamps. Then they used mod podge to seal it. A lot of them also made really cute frames. We used wood frames and painted them. After they had dried the girls decorated them with
buttons and ribbon. Over all it was a very fun night and the girls left with tons of cute ideas.

I have found the BEST easy carmel recipe. Mellisa is the carmel expert and has many recipies some taking many hours, but the majority of us have all agreed this one is the best.

Microwave Carmel

Melt 2 cubes butter in bowl
- Add - 1c white sugar
- 1c brown sugar
- 1c karo syrup
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
Mix well until creamy
Put in the microwave on high for 13 minutes. Stir every 4 minutes. When it is done stir for another 1-2 minutes. Pour carmel into a buttered pan or wax paper to cool.

ENJOY!

7 comments:

Wendy said...

Great YW activity idea. I may have to steal it. The caramel recipe you shared - is that for dipping things in, or to be eaten plain? Or for caramel popcorn?

Davis' said...

thanks for the great ideas. I will take them to our Young Women.

Jaimee said...

The carmel recipe is great to just eat bite size pieces, but I also used it to dip the pretzels.

Tera said...

Very cute pretzels Jaimee - I didn't know you were so fancy!! I love the designs you made on them. I can't wait to try the recipe... I have a good one but it's a pain the rear because you have to stand over it forever and use a thermometer and everything. Thanks for sharing!

Ryan said...

Thanks for the recipe. Time to go add a few inches to my waistline :)

It sounds like you're having a lot of fun with your calling. I work with the young boys in scouts and I love it. It really is a blessing to be part of such a marvelous work.

I hope you are all having a great time and we hope to see you soon.

Candace said...

Those look so delicious. I definitely need to make some.

t5winmom said...

I'm excited to try this! I'm going to make some 3-4" caramel ropes (after the caramel has cooled a bit) & wrap them around the pretzel rods for more texture, THEN dip them in chocolate & sprinkles/nuts/cookie crumbs/crushed holiday M&Ms...

You've just made my teacher-gift-giving extremely FUN & economical! (and with 4 kids in elementary, we keep getting the same teachers every year, so I keep having to come up with new ideas...) 8^]]]